Japan Club - Montclair State University
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Japan Club - Montclair State University

japanc.weebly.com

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Haiku Fun & Ramen Noodle Yum! Dec 7; 1:00pm; Rathskeller

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin
Admin

Haiku Fun & Ramen Noodle Yum! Dec 7; 1:00pm; Rathskeller Empty
PostSubject: Haiku Fun & Ramen Noodle Yum! Dec 7; 1:00pm; Rathskeller   Haiku Fun & Ramen Noodle Yum! Dec 7; 1:00pm; Rathskeller Icon_minitimeSun Jun 26, 2011 5:57 am

When: 12/07/2011 - Wednesday
Where: Student Center Rathskeller
Time: 1:00pm - 5:00pm

What:
Members and students can participate by reading their favorite haikus or read their own at the event. We will also be serving ramen noodles. (not instant!)
This will be the last event for the semester and year hosted by Japan Club!
Equipment we have to use at the event from the Student Center:
Blackboard, Easel, Karaoke Machine

---

We should make different variety of flyers for this event!
We should mention that everyone is welcomed to read their favorite haikus written by someone else or read their own!
Ramen will be served as well as other refreshments and perhaps some snacks.

• What kind of ramen should we serve?
    It would be nice to have two types and serve it similar to the ramen we had at the character date auction event last year.

• What else can we do for this event?

-CC
Back to top Go down
http://japanc.weebly.com
Overlord Quel

Overlord Quel

PostSubject: Re: Haiku Fun & Ramen Noodle Yum! Dec 7; 1:00pm; Rathskeller   Haiku Fun & Ramen Noodle Yum! Dec 7; 1:00pm; Rathskeller Icon_minitimeMon Jun 27, 2011 3:19 pm

I'm not sure if anyone else is old enough to remember the ASSIT Coffee House events... but they were pretty cool. Everyone would get together for a geeky cafe kind of vibe. Theyd serve different kinds of coffee and snacks, and all night we'd just hang out, read poetry, kareoke, some would sing or perform musically. I could see having a couple of haikus broken up with different musical pieces. I remember hearing some awesome violin from our event with KASA, are they available? (I would leave out the kareoke, but include singing with musical instruments.)

As far as food... You can make two different bowls of ramen by starting with a different base stock. You could easily do a spicy veggie broth and a porky rich broth.

One thing that needs to be established before the bill is sent out is exactly what package of noodles we use. There are so many different kinds, I would screw up the shopping if I was sent alone... >_> (Udon noodles for life!!!) This event needs research on exactly which noodle and how much its going to cost us to add extras such as meat and veggies.

Snacks should be light, healthy, easy to make, no temperature problems... the downside to all of those coffeehouses was that it was all junk food... how about edamame, pickles, and or onigiri? (not sure about the rice and noodle combo, but hey choice of starch?)

Back to top Go down
cc

cc

PostSubject: Re: Haiku Fun & Ramen Noodle Yum! Dec 7; 1:00pm; Rathskeller   Haiku Fun & Ramen Noodle Yum! Dec 7; 1:00pm; Rathskeller Icon_minitimeTue Jun 28, 2011 11:35 pm

I remember the coffee house cause I’ve been to a few myself. I think for this event, we can try to implement it into our meetings prior to the event. For example, we can teach about haikus and then we can ask people to write their own if interested and then they can share it at the event. And if we prep enough, im sure if we contacted some English/writing majors who has an interest in haiku / Japanese poetry and invited them to this event, perhaps we can get a bigger crowd and more people to go up and read their haikus / their favorite haikus written by someone else.

I learned some neato things about ramen when I worked at a mitsuwa event. In the beginning of June, there was an event I was placed to work with the ramen guys…. Omfg they are freaking awesome and so nice. At the end when we finished, they let us prep our own bowl of ramen!!! It was quite interesting and … if I can figure out the prices for the ingredients for it, we can even let people prep their own ramen! I will give more info on that part later. ;’) That way people can in a way modify their ramen to their liking….

I think one type of noodles is good, and to avoid confusion, we can just choose a specific brand for our own personal note. We don’t need to tell the sga what brand specifically we are going to buy. Well since the haiku portion of the event is basically…. expense free we can focus the bill to the setting and food. The ramen does not need to be extravagant and thus we don’t need to get all these types of veggies, etc. we can stick with the basics. Its still yummy!

hmmm I was thinking some Japanese snacks such as:
http://shop.mitsuwa.com/img/detail/tn/003492.jpg
http://shop.mitsuwa.com/img/detail/tn/000880.jpg
http://shop.mitsuwa.com/img/detail/tn/003702.jpg
http://shop.mitsuwa.com/img/detail/tn/000912.jpg
http://www.harveynichols.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/900x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/3/5/359388_1.jpg

these are just examples.
We don’t have to get a lot, first come first serve basis.
Back to top Go down
Overlord Quel

Overlord Quel

PostSubject: Re: Haiku Fun & Ramen Noodle Yum! Dec 7; 1:00pm; Rathskeller   Haiku Fun & Ramen Noodle Yum! Dec 7; 1:00pm; Rathskeller Icon_minitimeThu Jun 30, 2011 1:34 pm

That's a great idea. Our first haiku night was a shared event with the Normal Review. We sat around Cafe Diem reading poetry. Perhaps we should do something like an invatation to the other clubs?

Actually on that note, maybe we should release a letter to the other clubs stating our events and asking if anyone wants to join in? and stating right there that if you want us to come to your event, just say so? Thats always a nice, hi we're your neighbors lets get together kinda thing.

omg those caplico sticks look awesome... and can we please buy the kitty bag? I just want the bag....
Back to top Go down
cc

cc

PostSubject: Re: Haiku Fun & Ramen Noodle Yum! Dec 7; 1:00pm; Rathskeller   Haiku Fun & Ramen Noodle Yum! Dec 7; 1:00pm; Rathskeller Icon_minitimeThu Jun 30, 2011 9:27 pm

We will be contacting other organizations about our events later when we figure our more on what we are going to do at our events.

lol
Back to top Go down
Overlord Quel

Overlord Quel

PostSubject: Re: Haiku Fun & Ramen Noodle Yum! Dec 7; 1:00pm; Rathskeller   Haiku Fun & Ramen Noodle Yum! Dec 7; 1:00pm; Rathskeller Icon_minitimeThu Dec 08, 2011 8:37 am

so, how did this event go?

Based on the very brief first impression of when I walked in, it seemed to be going well. The food was out, presentable, and layout was nice. I liked the "start here" sign, that is a nice touch.

If you are going to advertise an event starting at 1:00PM, you must at least make an attempt to start at 1:00PM. The event started at 2:03PM. Honestly, this isn't a surprise.

Things happen and events are late. But we should not be known for that.

I've noticed that events are starting after the advertised time, later and later. Sometimes, nothing can be done. But the attitude should not be, "I'm sure we'll be late anyway, so I'm guessing 2ish?".

You guys can do better than this, hold yourselves accountable to what you put out in public.

(If we have the room reserved for 1-5pm, it does not mean our event HAS to be from 1-5pm. Of course, we can use 1-2 as a setup and 4-5 as a breakdown time.)

In the last few months I've seen the bigger events start on time and go swimmingly, and the smaller events start late and suffer lack of planning. Weird.

other than the temporal distortion that the SC Rath seems to occupy, how did it go?
Back to top Go down
GenericNerd

GenericNerd

PostSubject: Re: Haiku Fun & Ramen Noodle Yum! Dec 7; 1:00pm; Rathskeller   Haiku Fun & Ramen Noodle Yum! Dec 7; 1:00pm; Rathskeller Icon_minitimeThu Dec 08, 2011 9:15 am

I think the event went really well. The problems with the outlet was kind of to be expected, considering the same thing happened at Iron Chef. The ramen was FANTASTIC and everyone enjoyed themselves. I think it was nice to have haiku interspersed throughout the event -- that way everyone got a chance to have some ramen and listen to haiku.

All in all, I think it went pretty smoothly. Of course, the start time was an issue, but there were a lot of people (myself included) who would have absolutely been there for setup had we not had prior obligations (in my case, a class I absolutely couldn't skip.) So I think the reason why it started late may have been due to lack of manpower to get it all started. But that's to be expected around this time of the semester.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Haiku Fun & Ramen Noodle Yum! Dec 7; 1:00pm; Rathskeller   Haiku Fun & Ramen Noodle Yum! Dec 7; 1:00pm; Rathskeller Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Haiku Fun & Ramen Noodle Yum! Dec 7; 1:00pm; Rathskeller
Page 1 of 1