Japan Club - Montclair State University
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Japan Club - Montclair State University

japanc.weebly.com

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

New Years Party (January 31 @ 8pm)

Go down 
+3
Jess S
cc
Admin
7 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin
Admin

New Years Party (January 31 @ 8pm) Empty
PostSubject: New Years Party (January 31 @ 8pm)   New Years Party (January 31 @ 8pm) Icon_minitimeThu Dec 09, 2010 1:59 am

Tentative Schedule:
  • Outline: December 29th
  • Bill: January 10th or 16th.
  • Supplies bought: January 24th-29th

Committee:
-CC
-Cherry
-John
-Cassie
-Delia
-Waqas
-Alex

CC will send more information, but this is a basic outline of what we've gotta do for New Years/Mochi Pounding
-ive added some. check 2nd post( : edited by cc on 12/9)

Research Japanese New Year:
food
different techniques for mochi making (and how we'd do it)
cloths
activities
religious aspect (Jess made an omikuji we just have to buy sticks)
-if we do the omikuji we'd want a tree to tie our fortunes on

Posters/slide show for all of the above
(if we do a slideshow it would be nice to leave it on a loop as the event goes on)

I'll also be posting a list of all the supplies we currently have in the clubroom soon

~Jess
Back to top Go down
http://japanc.weebly.com
cc

cc

PostSubject: Re: New Years Party (January 31 @ 8pm)   New Years Party (January 31 @ 8pm) Icon_minitimeFri Dec 10, 2010 3:29 am

If this event is to be held in the ratt, we will need to rearrange the tables a lot. :O
I will draw up a suggestion for the setup for the event.

Here is what I discussed to the eboard before:

Quote :
We talked about having the Mochi Pounding New Years Festival with Rice Ball, so we will have two main things to focus for this event. This means it will be bigger depending on what we decide on what types of rice balls to make and how we should approach mochi pounding.
Should we have a demonstration for everyone and have premades for everyone to try?
Or should we have everyone try within many groups to pound their own mochi.
please take a look at the links (the bottom of the message) to look at the directions on how to make the mochi.
Of course there are other approaches, but I am trying to stick to the most traditional method we can (BUT if we have the premade thing, what we can do is do the demonstration the traditional way and the premades made another easier way)

Jess and I also discussed about dango, if we wanted to add that in too.
This type:
dango1 & dango 2

I’ve made it for the club before for a Red Hawk Night a long time ago, and it was enjoyed by whoever ate it. We can just have that already made and ready to eat, or I / others can make a few the night before and then during the event, make more so its fresh. Depends on w/e.

Anyway I just wanted to add a few links for everyone to take a look at and this is also for my own notes:

How to Mochi:
Link 1
Link 2

Video:
Vid 1
Image:
example image

Rice Ball:
Check out this Japanese site on rice balls~ its pretty cool if you look at the history, ingredients for veggies, meat, and type of rice.
This site is translated using google so it might be a little off, but its something :)

Link 3

This site has recipes but no images.
Link 4
Back to top Go down
Jess S

PostSubject: Re: New Years Party (January 31 @ 8pm)   New Years Party (January 31 @ 8pm) Icon_minitimeFri Dec 10, 2010 3:32 am

I'm going down to CSI to check out our papework. I can try and get the location changed to CafeB&C which is where we're having White Day
Back to top Go down
cc

cc

PostSubject: Re: New Years Party (January 31 @ 8pm)   New Years Party (January 31 @ 8pm) Icon_minitimeFri Dec 10, 2010 3:46 am

I think maybe if we can get the ballroom for this event, it would be awesome.
I highly doubt anyone will have an event during that day in the ballroom, but just in case we would maybe ask them if its possible. :O (if no one took it.)

~ <3
Back to top Go down
Jess S

PostSubject: Re: New Years Party (January 31 @ 8pm)   New Years Party (January 31 @ 8pm) Icon_minitimeThu Dec 30, 2010 5:21 am

^^ This is what we need to do for this event!

1. Talk to UAASO, figure out when they scheduled their New Years event and if they got the ballrooms.

2. Make Power Point demonstrating Mochi techniques using these links:
[url=http://kcc.fc2web.com/rcp/mochitsuki.htm ]Link1[/url]
Link2

2a. Request Projector and screen from Tech and CSI (Jess)

3. Figure out if there's a better/cheaper "pre-flour" brand than what Quel and I bought last time. "Mochiko Glutenous Rice Mix" and how much we'll need. 1 box made about 48 little mochi

4. Decide if we're going to do "dango" and figure out if that's much different from Mochi

3/4a. What tools will we have for this?

• Double burner on boil to steam mochi (check!)
  • two pots and steaming trays
  • "hammer" and "pounding bowl" <-for the group? for individual? for small groups?

5. Rice Balls: Should we provide an assortment of items to go onto the riceballs and let people make their own after being shown a training video? Will this go on same as the mochi or different times?

6. Other food? I don't think we'll need anything else. especially if UAASO is with us. but it would be nice to have a separate slide show about Japanese New Year traditions and food. I did a bit of research about this when I made my New Years Bento last year, it's quite fun! ^.^

7. Games: This is part of 6 in a way. What are some games the Japanese play at new years?

8. Omikuji. For a long time we've been getting requests to do the "good luck fortune strips you tie to a tree" I made us one, all we have to do is buy pickup sticks or skewars and put colored dots on them. If the even is in the Ballrooms we can tie them on the tree!!

I'd like a poster made for this to explain : ) <-I'll tackle this!

9. ^.^ Music! we'll want some!

10. FLYER!!! OMG this is an important one. Lets have this posted as soon as we get our official location/date. Can someone make one up and save it so we can just change those pieces of information quickly?

Last edited by Jess S on Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Waqas

Waqas

PostSubject: Re: New Years Party (January 31 @ 8pm)   New Years Party (January 31 @ 8pm) Icon_minitimeThu Dec 30, 2010 6:27 am

Konbanwa! I love you I love you

thanxx for the post i was going to ask what were some of the things that need to be done for the new year event, the other day.

i think we should somehow incorporate our new year's dream like if its a good/bad fortune. i know that having mr. fuji, an eggplant, an eagle, or having the rising sun in a dream is really good fortune. i'm gonna try to remember/mine on new years ^_^

for games i think mahjong would be great, i think that's a new year's game (or maybe its for spring? :-/) though learning the rules in the beginning is kind of hard. i have no idea how to play but i would ♥️ to play it!!! XD

also how can we use the trees outside if the ballroom is inside? :-(
Back to top Go down
Jess S

PostSubject: Re: New Years Party (January 31 @ 8pm)   New Years Party (January 31 @ 8pm) Icon_minitimeThu Dec 30, 2010 12:51 pm

>w< tehehe. there are fake trees inside the ballrooms. pushed off into the corner (at least I remember there being some)

Majohg is an amazing game!!!! and we know someone who owns a beautiful set

^.^ ooh dream fortune is good too <3 We can do that at the club meeting
Back to top Go down
SSJ2 Gohan

SSJ2 Gohan

PostSubject: Re: New Years Party (January 31 @ 8pm)   New Years Party (January 31 @ 8pm) Icon_minitimeThu Dec 30, 2010 1:39 pm

lol ill bring that amazing mahjong set of which u speak.
ill try and get the projector and make the flyers.
ill post if i can find that pre-flour thing anywhere
Back to top Go down
Waqas

Waqas

PostSubject: Re: New Years Party (January 31 @ 8pm)   New Years Party (January 31 @ 8pm) Icon_minitimeThu Dec 30, 2010 2:45 pm

ooooh make sense now >w<

i heard majohg revolves around ancient japan and spirituality so it would be perfect for new years. thanks!! i'll see what else i can find that wud be appropriate for the event.
Back to top Go down
SSJ2 Gohan

SSJ2 Gohan

PostSubject: Re: New Years Party (January 31 @ 8pm)   New Years Party (January 31 @ 8pm) Icon_minitimeFri Dec 31, 2010 2:48 am

it is hard but it has the same aspects as a poker game like making pair, 3 of a kind, 4 of a kind, and straights.
the way we play is a little insane lol but we'll prob play normal so it wont get confusing. not mentioning anyone who plays crazy lol (points to program coordinator) ^^
Back to top Go down
Waqas

Waqas

PostSubject: Re: New Years Party (January 31 @ 8pm)   New Years Party (January 31 @ 8pm) Icon_minitimeFri Dec 31, 2010 2:54 am

loll awwh monkey monkey
Back to top Go down
Jess S

PostSubject: Re: New Years Party (January 31 @ 8pm)   New Years Party (January 31 @ 8pm) Icon_minitimeFri Dec 31, 2010 8:01 am

SSJ2 Gohan wrote:
lol ill bring that amazing mahjong set of which u speak.
ill try and get the projector and make the flyers.
ill post if i can find that pre-flour thing anywhere

00 ah....sorry.....reserving equipment is a job that invovles e-mail our adviser. I'll handle that.

^.^ thanks for your help!

Edit: 0.0 plays crazy? I don't know what you mean *whistles whistle, sneak way with all your pieces!!!)
Back to top Go down
SSJ2 Gohan

SSJ2 Gohan

PostSubject: Re: New Years Party (January 31 @ 8pm)   New Years Party (January 31 @ 8pm) Icon_minitimeFri Dec 31, 2010 11:31 am

where did my 4 of a kind go????

lol see u do whistle wen ur about 2 do something cynical and coniving.
Back to top Go down
Cherry-Kun

Cherry-Kun

PostSubject: Re: New Years Party (January 31 @ 8pm)   New Years Party (January 31 @ 8pm) Icon_minitimeSun Jan 02, 2011 10:09 am

cherry Cherry reporting!

I've found this artice article :Darticle Very Happy

I Hanetsuki is a MUST if we are going to have a New Years Party Japanese Style.

There is a set on sale on ebay Very Happy right here Very Happy and it's not that expensive, we would only need ink and a brush which can be bought at any art store Very Happy

Also, I found this Very Happy this Very Happy (it even inkludes recipies) and this Very Happy this Very Happy that uses recipies of the previous site Very Happy

Cherry will keep on researching!!! Oh and by the way, HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

cherry
Back to top Go down
Waqas

Waqas

PostSubject: Re: New Years Party (January 31 @ 8pm)   New Years Party (January 31 @ 8pm) Icon_minitimeSun Jan 02, 2011 12:34 pm

Cherry-Kun wrote:
cherry Cherry reporting!

I've found this artice article :Darticle Very Happy

I Hanetsuki is a MUST if we are going to have a New Years Party Japanese Style.

There is a set on sale on ebay Very Happy right here Very Happy and it's not that expensive, we would only need ink and a brush which can be bought at any art store Very Happy

Also, I found this Very Happy this Very Happy (it even inkludes recipies) and this Very Happy this Very Happy that uses recipies of the previous site Very Happy

Cherry will keep on researching!!! Oh and by the way, HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

cherry

aeeiyaay!!! the hanetsuki set on ebay is so kawaii i'm going to buy it for myself hehehe!!!!!! bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce
Back to top Go down
Jess S

PostSubject: Re: New Years Party (January 31 @ 8pm)   New Years Party (January 31 @ 8pm) Icon_minitimeSun Jan 02, 2011 4:02 pm

^.^ yay! I think that's a great idea. it's cheap and fun <3

The bento is nice, but a lot of the food is expensive and hard to prepare (I tried to make one last year, you can see the fail pictures of facebook) However, are some of the foods we can make? But we'll be having Onigiri and probably a lot of food from UAASO so maybe not? what do you think?

lmao and here's a cute little explanation of how to make dango:

http://sailormoon.takeuchi-naoko.com/fan/shrines/dango/edible/index.html
Back to top Go down
Cherry-Kun

Cherry-Kun

PostSubject: Re: New Years Party (January 31 @ 8pm)   New Years Party (January 31 @ 8pm) Icon_minitimeMon Jan 03, 2011 11:38 am

RIGHT?!?!?!?! its awesome!!! the design is so cute x3 its used already but hey! it looks as if its in good konditions. if u want to, do it! its a great price!!!
Back to top Go down
Waqas

Waqas

PostSubject: Re: New Years Party (January 31 @ 8pm)   New Years Party (January 31 @ 8pm) Icon_minitimeTue Jan 04, 2011 5:16 am

Cherry-Kun wrote:
RIGHT?!?!?!?! its awesome!!! the design is so cute x3 its used already but hey! it looks as if its in good konditions. if u want to, do it! its a great price!!!

hehe i know!! ♥♥ X33 but i don't want to be selfish, we can use it for the japan club and the new years eve event :-)
Back to top Go down
Jess S

PostSubject: Re: New Years Party (January 31 @ 8pm)   New Years Party (January 31 @ 8pm) Icon_minitimeTue Jan 04, 2011 5:59 am

http://foldingtrees.com/2008/08/flower-week-tissue-paper-carnations/ ^^ this would be a cute in-club activity also use them at new years and all other events

plus I been cleaning my closet and found a bushelload of 'em
Back to top Go down
Waqas

Waqas

PostSubject: language of flowers!   New Years Party (January 31 @ 8pm) Icon_minitimeTue Jan 04, 2011 6:37 am

Jess S wrote:
http://foldingtrees.com/2008/08/flower-week-tissue-paper-carnations/ ^^ this would be a cute in-club activity also use them at new years and all other events

plus I been cleaning my closet and found a bushelload of 'em

i found this interesting article on wikipedia of how the japanese name their flowers and each has a specific meaning. some of the names for the flowers can be actual 'names' like Sakura (kind/gentle) - cherry blossom, and Yuri (sweet) - spider lily, which i found adorable Very Happy

i think we should use flower(s) that represent the new year theme, as in new beginnings, longevity, innocence, etc.

btw. does anyone know how i can view a foreign website in english? there some good sites i want to use but they're in japanese. there not in romanji either :/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanakotoba
Back to top Go down
SSJ2 Gohan

SSJ2 Gohan

PostSubject: Re: New Years Party (January 31 @ 8pm)   New Years Party (January 31 @ 8pm) Icon_minitimeTue Jan 04, 2011 7:14 am

those paper carnations are awesome and they dont look that difficult to make. mine wuld prob look awful though. lol

not sure about website translator but i use google chrome which automatically translates a foreign language site to english Smile
Back to top Go down
SSJ2 Gohan

SSJ2 Gohan

PostSubject: Re: New Years Party (January 31 @ 8pm)   New Years Party (January 31 @ 8pm) Icon_minitimeTue Jan 04, 2011 10:29 am

maybe one day we could also make manju as well. it looks really simple to make.

http://japanesefood.about.com/library/pictures/blmanjyu.htm
Back to top Go down
Jess S

PostSubject: Re: New Years Party (January 31 @ 8pm)   New Years Party (January 31 @ 8pm) Icon_minitimeTue Jan 04, 2011 12:56 pm

^.^ ooh that stuff is easy to make! you just need some of those frozen pre-made dinner roll dough (if you like the easy way out) or a bread maker (slightly less easier way out), a steamer and your favorite inside meat/veg
Back to top Go down
Cherry-Kun

Cherry-Kun

PostSubject: Re: New Years Party (January 31 @ 8pm)   New Years Party (January 31 @ 8pm) Icon_minitimeWed Jan 05, 2011 12:25 pm

MAAAANJUUUU!!!! OMG LETS DO IT!!!

n im down with Wakas idea, we kan have a JC meetin dedikated to do the flowers? maybe perhaps? xD
Back to top Go down
Waqas

Waqas

PostSubject: Re: New Years Party (January 31 @ 8pm)   New Years Party (January 31 @ 8pm) Icon_minitimeWed Jan 05, 2011 3:06 pm

Cherry-Kun wrote:
MAAAANJUUUU!!!! OMG LETS DO IT!!!

n im down with Wakas idea, we kan have a JC meetin dedikated to do the flowers? maybe perhaps? xD

yeaaah we should, the more people the more flowers we can make!! even though making flowers is ""girly"" i want to learn how to make them anyway XDD!!!

and the more food/sweets to learn how to make the better. so i can start eating japanese food on a daily basis Wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Years Party (January 31 @ 8pm)   New Years Party (January 31 @ 8pm) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New Years Party (January 31 @ 8pm)
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next