Japan Club - Montclair State University
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Japan Club - Montclair State University

japanc.weebly.com

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Ideas for events, etc

Go down 
+2
KPopJRockLover
Densha_Onna
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Densha_Onna

Densha_Onna

Ideas for events, etc Empty
PostSubject: Fall 2011    Ideas for events, etc Icon_minitimeMon Mar 28, 2011 11:51 am

For Fall festival if the club wants to do workshops (or for any event in general), we could pick games from this list to play or demonstrate:

List of Japanese Games

And for the Cosplay Dating Auction in the fall, where dressing up as a ghost, spirit, or demon is a plus, here is a list of Japanese legendary creatures to choose from:
List of Japanese Creatures

Here are public holidays in Japan that happen during our Fall semester. Maybe we can come up with ideas to observe these holidays:

Respect-for-the-Aged Day (敬老の日, Keirō no Hi?) Third Monday of September This national holiday was established in 1966 as a day to respect the elderly and celebrate long life. Originally held on September 15, it originated as a renaming of Old Folks' Day (老人の日, Rōjin no hi?). In 2003, it was changed to the third Monday of September in accordance with the Happy Monday System. (See below.)

Autumnal Equinox Day (秋分の日, Shūbun no Hi?) Around September 23[2] This national holiday was established in 1948 as a day on which to honor one's ancestors and remember the dead. Prior to 1948, the autumnal equinox was an imperial ancestor worship festival called Shūki kōrei-sai (秋季皇霊祭?).

Health and Sports Day (体育の日, Taiiku no Hi?) Second Monday of October This national holiday was established in 1966 as a day on which to enjoy sports and cultivate a healthy mind and body. Originally held on October 10 to commemorate the anniversary of the opening ceremony of the 1964 Tokyo Olympics, in 2000 it was changed to the second Monday of October in accordance with the Happy Monday System. (See below.)

Culture Day (文化の日, Bunka no Hi?) November 3 This national holiday was established in 1948. It commemorates the November 3, 1946 announcement of the Constitution. It is recognized as a day to celebrate peace and freedom and promote culture. (Although prior to the establishment of this holiday in 1948, November 3 was also a national holiday called Meiji-setsu (明治節?) commemorating the birthday of Emperor Meiji, the two holidays are ostensibly unrelated.)

Labour Thanksgiving Day (勤労感謝の日, Kinrō Kansha no Hi?) November 23 This national holiday was established in 1948 as an occasion for praising labor, celebrating production and giving one another thanks. Prior to the establishment of this holiday, November 23 was celebrated as an imperial harvest festival called Niiname-sai (新嘗祭?).

The Emperor's Birthday (天皇誕生日, Tennō Tanjōbi?) December 23 The birthday of the reigning emperor has been a national holiday since 1868. Originally known as Tenchō-setsu (天長節?), it was renamed Tennō tanjōbi (天皇誕生日?) in 1948. It is currently celebrated on December 23; Emperor Akihito was born on this day in 1933. (Prior to the death of Emperor Hirohito in 1989, this holiday was celebrated on April 29. See "Shōwa Day" above.)

(all info was stolen from Wikipedia lol) rabbit
Back to top Go down
https://facebook.com/ashley.matarama
KPopJRockLover

KPopJRockLover

PostSubject: Japan Club's Surprise Japanese Lessons (TBA)   Ideas for events, etc Icon_minitimeSat Jul 02, 2011 1:47 am

Hey, I came up with this idea towards the end of Fall Semester last year. It was based off of a t.v. segment called "Ayaka's Surprise English Lessons," which chronicled Ayaka, an artist under Hello Project (all-girl record label in Japan) going around to other Hello Project members and teaching them English phrases on camera. The looks of panic and horror on their faces when they heard the word "English" was PRICELESS!

I figured, though, since it was such a success, not to mention entertaining, we could try our own version, but with Japanese. We would borrow someone's camera and go around asking random students and faculty members if they would mind setting some time aside to learn a Japanese phrase (nothing inappropriate or unbecoming) and also if we could record them learning it. If they don't want to be recorded then we simply ask if they would mind learning off-camera. Then, later we'd watch the lessons during club meetings and learn a little ourselves. And, of course we'd have to have a small prize as an incentive of taking their time, but we can discuss that later.

I thought it would be a fun idea and we'd generate more interest in Japan Club that way (we'd be handing out flyers/business cards/etc. at the end of every lesson). What do you all think?

For reference, you can check out this link: https://youtu.be/2czK3OF4IVI

Last edited by KPopJRockLover on Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Overlord Quel

Overlord Quel

PostSubject: Re: Ideas for events, etc   Ideas for events, etc Icon_minitimeSat Jul 02, 2011 2:36 am

I think its interesting, but is it a good idea to learn a foreign language from someone who just learned a phrase? Maybe you can start with some japanese students as examples, or start with people at events so it,s not terribly akward?
Back to top Go down
cc

cc

PostSubject: Re: Ideas for events, etc   Ideas for events, etc Icon_minitimeSat Jul 02, 2011 3:02 am

Oh yes I think what Quel brought up is a good idea. :')
I think its a good way to start off instead of jumping into asking the common student public.
This way we know and get the feel of how some people will react and by the time we go around, we are experienced in a way. :>
Back to top Go down
Densha_Onna

Densha_Onna

PostSubject: Re: Ideas for events, etc   Ideas for events, etc Icon_minitimeSat Jul 02, 2011 5:25 am

This sounds pretty cool- I actually thought you wanted to do a brief Japanese phrase lesson within the clubroom, but if you wanna take this campus wide that'd be a good way to get our name out there. Smile

I'd be happy to offer to teach, too. I'm sure other people on campus taking Japanese like Sam, Duke and Rosie could help too. I forget who else takes Japanese ^^;

You know what would be weird? Surprise mame-shiba facts (if anyone knows what' I'm talking about...) o.o LOL!
Back to top Go down
https://facebook.com/ashley.matarama
striderJus

striderJus

PostSubject: Idea for an event.    Ideas for events, etc Icon_minitimeSat Jul 02, 2011 8:12 am

Hey guys its Justin and I came up with an idea for an event : OUENDAN!!
Basically Ouendans are Japanese cheering squads(similar to cheerleaders). They make a bunch of noise with Taiko drums and wave flags, sometimes even performing a dance. They try to do everything in their power to cheer their team on and help them win the game. I was thinking that maybe JC can host an event that involves Ouendans (if possible, around the time of the homecoming game but it doesn't necessarily have to be then). Ouendans play a big part in Japanese sporting events and i figured the club could use more events that revolve around Japanese culture and appeal to everyone, not just those in JC and MUG.

Those who are participating in the event would be dressed up to look like members of an Ouendan( doesn't have to be exact ) and we would make 1 or 2 laps around campus making a bunch of noise and cheering for the Red Hawks. Other people outside of the club are also welcome to join. I think this has potential to be a fun event and yet another way to bring Japan Club to a bigger audience.

Tell me what you think of the idea, if you have any other ideas for this post them in the comments.

For those of you who want a better idea of what an Ouendan is like check out the links below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Y6qdp63cNk
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ouendan
Back to top Go down
cc

cc

PostSubject: Re: Ideas for events, etc   Ideas for events, etc Icon_minitimeSat Jul 02, 2011 8:15 am

Sounds like an interesting idea. : )
But first we would have to find out if we are allowed to go around campus cheering. *3*
MSU has strict rules about any noise level during the week outside and that is usually kept for just Wed during common hour.

When Homecoming comes, we can find more info about how we can participate and if we are allowed to do this then if more members are up for it, we can try!
Back to top Go down
Overlord Quel

Overlord Quel

PostSubject: Re: Ideas for events, etc   Ideas for events, etc Icon_minitimeSun Jul 03, 2011 2:07 am

Maybe the first lesson can be at a meeting? We really don't have enough language lessons. As. I posted under meeting activites, I think a bit of structure is good. We could do one week cultural, another oral language, another written language, and another as a history lesson.
Back to top Go down
KPopJRockLover

KPopJRockLover

PostSubject: Re: Ideas for events, etc   Ideas for events, etc Icon_minitimeSun Jul 03, 2011 9:25 am

These are all great ideas. And, yes, Ashley, I meant going campuswide rather than just at meetings. But, we could start during the meetings. That way I could work out the general structure of how the lessons would go and I could gouge out reactions.
I'm thinking the prize may or may not have to do with the phrase (it depends on what resources we have) or the more complicated the lesson, the better the prize. We can also work out games (specifically for meetings) to go with the lessons, like a special edition version of train wreck where the person in the middle has to learn the phrase. Something fun like that.
But, like I said, I have to work on getting henchmen I mean helpers who know Japanese and work out the overall structure.
If you guys have any other suggestions, bring 'em on. I'm open. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
cc

cc

PostSubject: Re: Ideas for events, etc   Ideas for events, etc Icon_minitimeTue Jul 12, 2011 6:30 am

Im going to move this to the proper forum ;')
Back to top Go down
Overlord Quel

Overlord Quel

PostSubject: Re: Ideas for events, etc   Ideas for events, etc Icon_minitimeThu Jul 21, 2011 5:37 am

so confused @_@ what is happy monday system? and when is golden week? maybe we need a presentation and holidays all together! >_>
Back to top Go down
castellik1

castellik1

PostSubject: Just gonna throw this out there...   Ideas for events, etc Icon_minitimeThu Sep 15, 2011 9:22 am

My Number: 201 704 8834

I'm not sure if I said it before, and I'll probably be signing up for any on campus events I can, but If anyone has something planned or wants to do something but needs help. I'm kind of just offering my services as a general hand for whatever you may need. I'm a bit of an artist, I can drive, I may suck at cooking, but I'm always willing to learn and help, and I take orders with no complaints (well, within reason). So if you're ever short of hands for any project, be it a club wide event, or a small project or presentation, or even if someone just needs someone to help them study (the first two classes, I haven't taken the last one yet), feel free to give me a call, or, I'm usually on the second floor in the library in the quiet sitting area from 2:30ish to 4:45ish, so you can just come see me in person.

You wont be bothering me, I swear, I'm a Buddhist, trying to do things for people is kind of one of our things. You'd actually kind of be doing me a favor by asking me for a favor

Like I said, I'll probably sign up for a lot of things, but I tend to miss things if they're not posted on the facebook page.

Back to top Go down
cc

cc

PostSubject: Ideas for events, etc   Ideas for events, etc Icon_minitimeFri Sep 30, 2011 11:03 pm

Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ideas for events, etc   Ideas for events, etc Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Ideas for events, etc
Page 1 of 1