Japan Club - Montclair State University
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Japan Club - Montclair State University

japanc.weebly.com

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Fall Food Festival @ Oct 20

Go down 
+5
Kathy
RocketGrunt
cc
Jess S
Admin
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin
Admin

Fall Food Festival @ Oct 20 Empty
PostSubject: Fall Food Festival @ Oct 20   Fall Food Festival @ Oct 20 Icon_minitimeMon May 10, 2010 5:25 am

Alright! It is time we plan for our second Fall Food Festival!
I know the first one wasn't quite as successful BUT I know we can improve it! Smile

SO the details:

October 13th, 6th 20th
(the date has been changed due to homecoming)
2:00 - 5:00
@ the Quad of the Student Center (outside)

We will be asking CSA to co-sponsor with us again!
(Also if you would like another organization to join us, please let us know!
We are always welcoming! <3 )

Reminder:
We need to plan as much as possible such as who is cooking what, etc!
We also need to buy a new burner (or two) for cooking!

Let's also discuss about the set up! I want it to resemble more like a traditional festival but a miniature version!
If you would like to contribute anything food or non-food wise, please inform us! (especially me cc haha)

What we have talked about so far:

+ Some form of mini game (we can finish off those balloon things, but we must set up that early so we may have more people play!) - i also want another game too -
+ you like the food served last time? yes? no? suggest new foods too!
+ I want to serve a miniature three course meal~ --> Appetizer, Food, and then dessert / sweets
+ dont forget different types of drinks
+ sticker booth fun! (we need printer and laptop)

I also suggest that we stray away from typical Japanese foods or sweets such as pocky or anything of the sort.
I want to introduce new things to the campus community and to you guys too!
Please google or go through the stores (or think about the anime / manga you have read) for anything new!
+ we also have some non-perishable foods left over that i think we should use too.

Thanks for reading everyone! -CC <3
Back to top Go down
http://japanc.weebly.com
Jess S

PostSubject: Re: Fall Food Festival @ Oct 20   Fall Food Festival @ Oct 20 Icon_minitimeSat May 15, 2010 10:24 am

Hi guys! This is the most Up to date info I've got. it's here on the second post so it's easy to get. Ka-peesh? <3

FOOD

Main Dishes

1. Yakisoba

noodle

(get recipe from CC)

2. Rice / Sweet potato Rice

buy sweet potatoes from Hong Kong supermarket

(check recipe with CC)
Peel sweet potato and cut into bite size pieces.
Wash rice
Place rice, sweet potato pieces, salt to taste and in the rice cooker. Put your hand flat on the top of the rice and pour in cold water until it reaches where your wrist starts.
Let it sit for about 20 minutes before cooking the rice. Once the cooking cycle is done, let it sit for about 15 to 20 minutes and fluff with a wooden or plastic rice paddle.

Side Dishes
3. Yakitori

Chicken
1 1/2 cups mirin
1 1/2 cups e soy sauce
1/4 cup sugar

Sauce:
Preheat the griller to high.
Pour the mirin into a saucepan over high heat and bring to the boil then reduce to a simmer for 30 minutes.
Put the pan over high heat and stir until the mixture boils and becomes thick and glossy.
Remove from the heat and allow to cool before using.

Cut each thigh fillet into 12 even pieces.

Heat a griller to high and cook the skewers, turning regularly, for 3-4 minutes, then baste with the sauce. Cook on each side for a further 1 to 2 minutes, basting again during this time,
until well glazed and the chicken is cooked through. 3-4 minutes on each side (about 10-12 minutes each)

4. Grilled veg. skewers
plum tomato 99c lb AMP
zucchini/squash
onion $2 lb AMP
peppers $1.88 AMP

5. grilled corn

use sauce from yakitori to baste, keep turning on grill for 10-12 minutes. keep on non-intense heat (wrap in tinfoil)

Dessert

Doriyaki
pancake mix
2tbsps flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup milk
2 egg yolks
1tbsp melted butter

Mix egg yolks and sugar in a pan. Add sifted flour in the pan and mix well. Add warm milk in the pan gradually. Place the pan on low heat and stir the mixture constantly until thickened. Stop the heat and add melted butter and stir well. Cool the custard cream.

Calpico Jelly
5oz Calico
Water
Milk 13oz
Powdered Gelatin
18g

pour powdered gelatin into water, set aside for 2-3 minutes. add 2.5oz of water and double boil until it's dissolved.
combine milk, calpico and rest of the water. stir.
pour into molds and chill in fridge until firm

On SITE: cut squares of jelly out of mold, place in wine glass

Utensils need:

Prep:
Tinfoil Pan x 5
Small bowl for sauce
Skewers (cut in half?)
Knife Set
Cutting board
measuring cup/teaspoons
lemonade pitcher
stirring spoon
mixing bowl x3
sauce pan
tupperware for sauce

On Site:
aluminum foil (whole roll)
Basting brush
tongs x 3
spatula
serving spoons x 4
microwaveable bowls to re-heat next day
big ziplocks
disposable pastier bags
Oven mitts x 3
knife
cutting board
plastic wine glasses
stop watch/kitchen timer

Booths

table cover $2 Party City
1 wooden 36” dowel 99c Micheals
PVC pipe: Lowes

2 Elbows 50c

3 7ft” poles (wait for john)
1 gal Elmer's glue $12
Zojirushi gourmet sizzler 89.99 amazon (possible)
String

On Site:
sizzors
duct tape

Last edited by Jess S on Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:34 am; edited 11 times in total
Back to top Go down
Jess S

PostSubject: Re: Fall Food Festival @ Oct 20   Fall Food Festival @ Oct 20 Icon_minitimeSat May 15, 2010 8:22 pm

http://www.risukun.com/Node.aspx?id=26883 <- some cute pictures of a little matsuri! look at the decorations/food
Back to top Go down
cc

cc

PostSubject: Re: Fall Food Festival @ Oct 20   Fall Food Festival @ Oct 20 Icon_minitimeSun May 16, 2010 11:10 am

maybe we can find a few of these too :D
http://store.japan-zone.com/product_info.php?products_id=21

of course cheaper~ lol (if possible)

other examples:
http://www.japanguidebook.com/files/u1/nago-sakura-festival.jpg
http://gaijinjapan.wordpress.com/2008/07/10/japanese-festivals-matsuri/
Back to top Go down
Jess S

PostSubject: Re: Fall Food Festival @ Oct 20   Fall Food Festival @ Oct 20 Icon_minitimeMon May 17, 2010 2:58 am

>w< those are sooo cute <3

would we want to do the whole booth? overhead and all? if so how.

oh! and I was thinking, whenever the stupid fraternities do a hamburger thing outside they have a grill. maybe i we make friends with one of them (gag) we can borrow their grill and make yaki-tori or corn on the cob
Back to top Go down
cc

cc

PostSubject: Re: Fall Food Festival @ Oct 20   Fall Food Festival @ Oct 20 Icon_minitimeWed May 19, 2010 12:07 am

yea i always noticed those awesome grills~ @__@ !! <3

well we can make our own banners :) and then use flag pole sticks (wooden) or some type of thing pole kinda thing to tape it to the banner on top and then somehow attach it to the table
and the bottom banner is just a wrap around the bottom portion on the table

now thinking about this, do we want paper banner or cloth type banner?
if we use the cloth banner, it can be recycled to use for other events or if the club decides to have the festival annually then it would be reused (until destroyed lol)
or paper banner .. cause even if we have this annually or w/e, a new one would be made but maybe with different design

O:
lolol~ just spurr of the moment thinking x);;
Back to top Go down
Jess S

PostSubject: Re: Fall Food Festival @ Oct 20   Fall Food Festival @ Oct 20 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 03, 2010 2:34 pm

we could get cloth to wrap around the table and be the banner, then put paper on it? that way we could have a nice solid base to use again and again but we can keep changing what's written on it.

oh! and you know how they have the papers hanging off the banner? We could staple those in as well <3 they're probably the foods/prices but I could be wrong.

if we get two clamps (big heavy duty film student clamps) it should be easy to stick the poles to the table legs (we'd just need really long poles)

or we can invest in some hardware, like a pipewhatcha-callit but I'm not sure it wouldn't blow over. oh! that's another nice thing about cloth base <3 not as much wind wrinkle.
Back to top Go down
Jess S

PostSubject: Re: Fall Food Festival @ Oct 20   Fall Food Festival @ Oct 20 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 29, 2010 7:42 am

(get list of our current food stock)

Last edited by Jess S on Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:08 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
RocketGrunt

RocketGrunt

PostSubject: Re: Fall Food Festival @ Oct 20   Fall Food Festival @ Oct 20 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 29, 2010 8:47 am

Love the sketch and love the idea... If there is anything I can do to help just let me know and I'll use my ways to try and make it happen. Cool
Back to top Go down
Jess S

PostSubject: Re: Fall Food Festival @ Oct 20   Fall Food Festival @ Oct 20 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 29, 2010 9:32 am

: D well....since you asked...<3

does your roommate's frat have a grill?

also, I'd like someone on the inside in jersey to get some prices on wooden flag poles vs plastic pipe. Tall enough to hold up booth banners (if you need more of an idea of how tall that is I can probably estimate measurements) https://2img.net/i/fa/wysiwyg/separator.png
Back to top Go down
Kathy

Kathy

PostSubject: Re: Fall Food Festival @ Oct 20   Fall Food Festival @ Oct 20 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 30, 2010 9:01 am

omg jess and CC this is amazing!!! you guys started working on this Very Happy soooo many great ideas!!

all of the food sound delicious and we should introduce new food to the campus, my only concern are the happi coats b/c they are not necessary

the food ideas are awesome we just need a couple of more games that are usually played and we can ask other organizations to help us with this Smile

great work!!! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
RocketGrunt

RocketGrunt

PostSubject: Re: Fall Food Festival @ Oct 20   Fall Food Festival @ Oct 20 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 01, 2010 5:18 am

Ummm that is a good question I shall ask my roommate and I'll see if my dad knows anything about pipes and boards for the booths.
Back to top Go down
Jess S

PostSubject: Re: Fall Food Festival @ Oct 20   Fall Food Festival @ Oct 20 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 04, 2010 11:23 am

http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~EB3Y-KKTK/omikuji/daikichi_01.html <- people have asked on occasion about these. I'm posting it here a) to remind me b) for people to look at ^^

http://www.tsubakishrine.com/omamori/omamori.html
Back to top Go down
SSJ2 Gohan

SSJ2 Gohan

PostSubject: Re: Fall Food Festival @ Oct 20   Fall Food Festival @ Oct 20 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 13, 2010 10:35 am

I was thinking possibly having a meeting where everyone makes tanabata and then hanging all ours up for the festival.

also, there is a cool japanese game that I would like to try called Darumasan ga koronda its kind of like red light, green light so much cooler.
Back to top Go down
cc

cc

PostSubject: Re: Fall Food Festival @ Oct 20   Fall Food Festival @ Oct 20 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 17, 2010 6:36 am

I also want some more games or maybe prizes to be included into the festival.

I just worked at the Mitsuwa summer festival and I saw some things that gave me ideas.

I worked at the Lucky Strings booth where every string is attached to a prize at one end. But then the other ends are all in like a pile of strings so you dont know what end of the string belongs to what. So you pick a random string and pull it to see what you won. It is REALLY simple. We can do many things with this idea and I am hoping we can construct and make this game available for our festival.

There was also ring toss to receive prizes and of course the yo-yo balloons you fish out of the water.
Then for food, we can make simple dishes such as yakisoba on the spot so it is warm and ready to eat.
And for dessert we can offer crushed ice with syrup flavor over it and some condensed milk and if anyone wants it, also red bean over that. Also we can have cotton candy and popcorn offered.

There was also a soccer kick game where the soccer ball when kicked attaches to this material that has numbers on them (the soccer ball is made out of felt or something.) and depending on the number your ball lands on, you win a prize.

and then there were the boxes where you dont know what is inside and you pick a box and punch it to get the prize inside. of course this box game is not big and the box is like the size of a rubik's cube.

And for drinks, we can buy japanese drinks in bulk so its cheaper most likely.
and if anyone wants to, we can make mini bentos for people with cute faces and designs to them.

i know this festival is free, but maybe for some things, we can request for donation to raise funds for the club or donate to some organization. we can plan more of that later.

also I was hoping to maybe get volunteers to wear the kimonos/yukatas and learn some tradition japanese dance and maybe they can dance in the middle to the appropriate japanese music to add some more tradition to the festival.

The festival I worked at also had character masks to sell, but I dont know where we can find those in bulk, and if we had those, it would be better to sell than give away right?

anyway these are just some ideas we can take and use or edit/modify for our festival. I want it to be traditional as possible we can make it because we are the japan club and i want to introduce more japanese culture to the campus community.

and for the festival booth setup, during or after our first meeting, i guess i will have some displays (horrible drawn LOL) to present to show different ways we can set this up.

I like Jess's idea for lanterns to decorate. i think we can put those on trees, or if we have enough booth space, we can have wires or string go across the booths and then attach lanterns to them =)

I also want to start to plan what booths we will have exactly so we know how many tables and materials we will need to setup the booths and then assign volunteers to each booth during a certain time. maybe it would be a good idea to get some help from other clubs (like CSA) again.

anyway i'll add more stuff later. i just needed to jot this down here so i dont forget. teehee.

please add any inputs to my post! =) thanks for reading~ <3
Back to top Go down
Jess S

PostSubject: Re: Fall Food Festival @ Oct 20   Fall Food Festival @ Oct 20 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 20, 2010 8:26 am

I'd have to see the space of our new clubroom to be precise, but I was thinking we might not have room to make as extravagant table booths like we wanted to. Just something to think about?
(also cheaper and possible won't scare away culture shock americans)

for the sake of simplicity I've gone back over my list of proposed foods and narrowed crossed off a few of the items unless we can find reeeally simple ways to make them. (they're in red font now)

http://japanesefood.about.com/od/japanesedessertsweet/r/kushidango.htm <--this is just here for me to remember Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Epithimia

Epithimia

PostSubject: Re: Fall Food Festival @ Oct 20   Fall Food Festival @ Oct 20 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 27, 2010 10:43 am

I have 2 large paper lanterns and a silk parasol at home; I can bring it in for decoration for this if you guys like.
Back to top Go down
cc

cc

PostSubject: Re: Fall Food Festival @ Oct 20   Fall Food Festival @ Oct 20 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 30, 2010 9:07 am

well whatever we have to use that might be big or wont fit into the room can be kept at someone's house hopefully for the time being.
and the stuff we might need should probably have the ability to be taken apart and put back together freely~ so we may use the stuff in the future.

and if we manage to become a class 1 organization, then we can work on our office space issue. so for now we will have to make compromises with a lot of our things :/
Back to top Go down
Overlord Quel

Overlord Quel

PostSubject: Re: Fall Food Festival @ Oct 20   Fall Food Festival @ Oct 20 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 10, 2010 4:59 am

as far as space goes, if you need help putting away things always remember there is space in the sga closet. idk where it is exactly, but theres the space offered to us.

i will be doing the pickling booth.... i cant wait... im deff doing a lotus root, perhaps ginger, and perhaps something else like a cucumber. most of my things involve using water, sugar, salt, soy sauce, vinegar. im pretty sure we have all of that.

i will need a test run with our ingridents, im not sure how the apple cinder vingear will taste?

p.s. i have the pickling book at home... i left the festivals book in the office if anyone wants to read it.
Back to top Go down
JGV

JGV

PostSubject: Re: Fall Food Festival @ Oct 20   Fall Food Festival @ Oct 20 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 10, 2010 8:53 pm

Epithimia wrote:
I have 2 large paper lanterns and a silk parasol at home; I can bring it in for decoration for this if you guys like.

Oh! I have a string of little white paper lanterns (with cherry blossoms on them)! They can be lit up via electricity but if that's impossible then they'd be great for decoration too ^^
Back to top Go down
http://neko490.deviantart.com
Overlord Quel

Overlord Quel

PostSubject: Re: Fall Food Festival @ Oct 20   Fall Food Festival @ Oct 20 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 13, 2010 1:43 pm

perhaps we should just bring in all of our parasols and fans? i have a red, black, and white parasol, and i also have a purple parasol. i wouldnt mind having them as decoration.
Back to top Go down
Overlord Quel

Overlord Quel

PostSubject: Re: Fall Food Festival @ Oct 20   Fall Food Festival @ Oct 20 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 13, 2010 1:44 pm

.... is it early enough to call dibs on my black yukata? <3 my little black yukata...
Back to top Go down
cc

cc

PostSubject: Re: Fall Food Festival @ Oct 20   Fall Food Festival @ Oct 20 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 14, 2010 1:09 pm

nah its not too late.

@Jasmin
sure that would be helpful!!

Once Jess and I have the base of the event ready/planned out, we will then discuss on decorations and such

I think we should incorporate if there is going to be any wind that day since it is October, the month of the beginning chilly weather xD
And i was also thinking to also make it kinda halloween themed-ish since the holiday is coming up and our festival is kind of held during a time where there isnt any usual/common japanese festivities going on.

=)
Back to top Go down
Epithimia

Epithimia

PostSubject: Re: Fall Food Festival @ Oct 20   Fall Food Festival @ Oct 20 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 15, 2010 12:59 am

JGV wrote:
Epithimia wrote:

Oh! I have a string of little white paper lanterns (with cherry blossoms on them)! They can be lit up via electricity but if that's impossible then they'd be great for decoration too ^^

It's gonna be in the afternoon, so I don't think they'd necessarily need to be lit up, but they sound very cute
Back to top Go down
Overlord Quel

Overlord Quel

PostSubject: Re: Fall Food Festival @ Oct 20   Fall Food Festival @ Oct 20 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 15, 2010 1:33 am

how many are we looking to feed? 50? 100? 150? I have the pickling book with me today so we can look at ingirdents and think about prices... mmm nom noms....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fall Food Festival @ Oct 20   Fall Food Festival @ Oct 20 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Fall Food Festival @ Oct 20
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next