Japan Club - Montclair State University
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Japan Club - Montclair State University

japanc.weebly.com

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Fall Festival Sept 28; 1:00pm; Quad

Go down 
+5
Kirei-chan
Densha_Onna
cc
Overlord Quel
Admin
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin
Admin

Fall Festival Sept 28; 1:00pm; Quad Empty
PostSubject: Fall Festival Sept 28; 1:00pm; Quad   Fall Festival Sept 28; 1:00pm; Quad Icon_minitimeSun Jun 26, 2011 6:50 am

When: 09/28/2011 - Wednesday
Where: Student Center Quad
Time: 1:00pm - 5:00pm

What: Our annual Fall Festival celebration! Let's make this the best one yet!

UPDATE!!!! - 9/22/2011

Fall Festival Sept 28; 1:00pm; Quad Map1010

------------------

A lot of preparation is needed for this event!
Such as food prep, PRE-setup prep, setup prep, etc.

Let's aim to make this festival look, feel, and taste like a Japanese festival as best as possible.

So far this is the setup I requested the student center to prep our tables
Fall Festival Sept 28; 1:00pm; Quad Igc3f7
The main table setup will be a U shape where 2 of the 8' tables will be on each
side (to make the U shape) where the opening faces the Student Center.
Two tables each of the 6' tables will be placed behind each of the 8' tables. Two
chairs behind every 6' table.
The Karaoke machine, microphones, PA system is to be placed on the right side.
The easels and blackboard can be just placed in the middle of the U. We will
designate position to those ourselves.

**basically the tables behind the main U frame are the tables that we will be cooking on, and the U frame tables are the tables we will be serving on. THIS WAY it helps organize and give us more table space.

***we need to prep an area where we can leave our bags cause this is an issue i see a lot.
people leaving their stuff on the tables making it harder to use... and move away since then others will freak out "WHERE IS MY STUFF??" ... which gets on my nerves. thanks :p

• What type of foods should we serve this year?
    I was aiming for again 3 main types: entree, meal, and dessert.
    (meaning something small, then we can serve something with a little bit more portions, and something sweet to try)
    Let's have something relatively easy to make but not too expensive, something yummy.
    And made the right way *________*

There will be different stations to manage and prep for:

• 3 Food stations
  • Drinks Station
  • Games Station
  • Karaoke Station
  • Japan Club / Japanese Festival Info Table Station

Co-sponsors to consider:
  • CSA held a nice raffle before
  • KASA maybe can help with a food station
  • UAASO perhaps can also help with a food station

This will be our first major event for the semester!

-cc

Last edited by Admin on Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://japanc.weebly.com
Overlord Quel

Overlord Quel

PostSubject: Re: Fall Festival Sept 28; 1:00pm; Quad   Fall Festival Sept 28; 1:00pm; Quad Icon_minitimeMon Jun 27, 2011 6:14 am

Oooh looks like much fun. This year id like to dedicate myself to the camera/ purika stuff. I'm planning out a photo booth station of sorts as a private business model, and id like to try it out for the fall festival. Some things I've been brainstorming...
* purika style with stickers and frames
* old school black and white 4 photo strips
* using a green screen and making either stickers or prints(mt.fuji background?)
* having fun props on hand, like wigs, dress up clothing, fans, parasols, signs that say funny things

Ill be figuring out the logistics and pricing this summer. I anticipate something reasonable for the clubs budget.

On the food side, let's make sure there is something veggitarean as usual.
Back to top Go down
cc

cc

PostSubject: Re: Fall Festival Sept 28; 1:00pm; Quad   Fall Festival Sept 28; 1:00pm; Quad Icon_minitimeTue Jun 28, 2011 11:47 pm

We would have to test out the green screen part because we will be outside so wouldn’t there be some difficulties? Also lets keep the editing part of the photo as easy as possible so we can have it ready faster and give it to the person(s).
We can use some of Manny’s templates he made for us to use last time too. I think I have some templates I created too. :) Can you elaborate how you will print these and how it will be ….like small sticker squares? Unless we use the idea I had last time which can be kind of tedious but fun at the same time.
Back to top Go down
Overlord Quel

Overlord Quel

PostSubject: Re: Fall Festival Sept 28; 1:00pm; Quad   Fall Festival Sept 28; 1:00pm; Quad Icon_minitimeTue Jun 28, 2011 11:55 pm

Unless its raining, the greenscreen will work awesomely because of the extra light. The only problem is when someone is wearing green, they "fade" into the background. But we just use the black screen in that case... I'm still not 100% which ill be bringing. I still have to test and what not. What program did you use for this last time?
Back to top Go down
cc

cc

PostSubject: Re: Fall Festival Sept 28; 1:00pm; Quad   Fall Festival Sept 28; 1:00pm; Quad Icon_minitimeWed Jun 29, 2011 12:10 am

I just used photoshop and had premade templates.
I suggest kind of making like a small "order" form or booklet with what they can add to the "sticker photo" and then you can just copy and paste those things onto the photo.

and because of photoshop and layers, its easy to have one or two big files with many layers that has the "add-ons" and templates instead of having many psd files open, etc.
Back to top Go down
Overlord Quel

Overlord Quel

PostSubject: Re: Fall Festival Sept 28; 1:00pm; Quad   Fall Festival Sept 28; 1:00pm; Quad Icon_minitimeThu Jun 30, 2011 4:56 am

sounds good... (*excited*)

I hope someone has something to say about food.. (cough: anyone?!)
Back to top Go down
Densha_Onna

Densha_Onna

PostSubject: Re: Fall Festival Sept 28; 1:00pm; Quad   Fall Festival Sept 28; 1:00pm; Quad Icon_minitimeThu Jun 30, 2011 9:05 am

Food Possibilites-
Okonomiyaki
Yakisoba
Grilled/fried calamari rings
futomaki
inari sushi
coffee jelly
almond jelly
mochi
yakitori
dumplings
crab claws
oranges
kakigori (does that still get served during the fall or is that more of a summer thing?)

btw 100% of this was stolen from some guy who blogged about his aki matsuri experience.
http://scentofgreenbananas.blogspot.com/2004/12/eating-my-way-through-aki-matsuri.html
Back to top Go down
https://facebook.com/ashley.matarama
Overlord Quel

Overlord Quel

PostSubject: Re: Fall Festival Sept 28; 1:00pm; Quad   Fall Festival Sept 28; 1:00pm; Quad Icon_minitimeThu Jun 30, 2011 9:58 am

I like the okonomiyaki idea, its cheap and has great portion control. Its also easy to do most of the work ahead of time. At the festival all you need is a way to reheat them, and its veggie friendly.
Back to top Go down
Kirei-chan
Vice President
Vice President
Kirei-chan

PostSubject: Re: Fall Festival Sept 28; 1:00pm; Quad   Fall Festival Sept 28; 1:00pm; Quad Icon_minitimeFri Jul 01, 2011 2:23 am

I like the idea of okonomiyaki. And if we also cook some yakitori chicken the day before, we can reheat it day of. I know we did that last year and ran out of food, but that's probably because we put too much on the skewers. If we break the skewers down smaller and put only 1-3 pieces on each one, we might be able to manage it. Very Happy

We should look into the amount of work it takes to make jellies vs. amount of work to make mochi. Both would be a delicious and easy to make small dessert.
Back to top Go down
http://graniteclaws.deviantart.com
cc

cc

PostSubject: Re: Fall Festival Sept 28; 1:00pm; Quad   Fall Festival Sept 28; 1:00pm; Quad Icon_minitimeFri Jul 01, 2011 2:28 am

We also should think of food storage :O
and what to put the food in cause honestly I didn't mind the silver tray thingers that much esp when food we are storing over night due to the cover issues, etc.
and and fridge space/storage as well.

fyi xD
Back to top Go down
Kirei-chan
Vice President
Vice President
Kirei-chan

PostSubject: Re: Fall Festival Sept 28; 1:00pm; Quad   Fall Festival Sept 28; 1:00pm; Quad Icon_minitimeFri Jul 01, 2011 3:36 am

Yes - food storage is very important! Um...maybe we should consider buying a cooler for the club? The silver tray thingys work well enough. BTW, I have one that I want to donate. 8D But I do not have a cooler that I can donate. D8

Would we be reheating food on a grill of somekind?

Also, I guess we're not catering this event? I remember there was some discussion of getting recipes to Sodexo so they can try to make the recipes... But I don't remember if it was decided against or not.
Back to top Go down
cc

cc

PostSubject: Re: Fall Festival Sept 28; 1:00pm; Quad   Fall Festival Sept 28; 1:00pm; Quad Icon_minitimeFri Jul 01, 2011 5:30 am

Noo I don't think the silver trays work well for most of the food we want to store.
We never bought food from anywhere else, we always made the food.

I guess we can turn to Sodexo to make the food, but then that means it has to be made all by them. We can't have half made by us and half by them. :/ I remember being told its one or the other.
Back to top Go down
Overlord Quel

Overlord Quel

PostSubject: Re: Fall Festival Sept 28; 1:00pm; Quad   Fall Festival Sept 28; 1:00pm; Quad Icon_minitimeFri Jul 01, 2011 6:07 am

Lost my post. Long story short, jelly is easir than mochi. Mochi is tricker to make and needs to be steamed. Jelly is much easier, but it needs cold storage. Id vote against sodexho, the quality and price really suffers.
Back to top Go down
KPopJRockLover

KPopJRockLover

PostSubject: Re: Fall Festival Sept 28; 1:00pm; Quad   Fall Festival Sept 28; 1:00pm; Quad Icon_minitimeSat Jul 02, 2011 1:32 am

Can we please get better management on the other stations this year, like the Gaming Station? Last year I was supposed to be working it with Matt, Justin and Manny, and they kept bailing on me to get food and to watch the performances. I missed all that because I had to manage it all myself. Only Manny was nicely enough to keep coming back to help. I had to keep telling Justin and Matt to come and help me out, but they kept leaving. It ruined the whole Fall Fest for me. Mad
Back to top Go down
cc

cc

PostSubject: Re: Fall Festival Sept 28; 1:00pm; Quad   Fall Festival Sept 28; 1:00pm; Quad Icon_minitimeSat Jul 02, 2011 2:56 am

The gaming station?

But yes, this is why we are having the discussion about the tables and each part here xD;;
Back to top Go down
striderJus

striderJus

PostSubject: Re: Fall Festival Sept 28; 1:00pm; Quad   Fall Festival Sept 28; 1:00pm; Quad Icon_minitimeSat Jul 02, 2011 8:32 am

We could also make shuriken cookies again(since they were apparently a big hit at the bake sale they were in), also bake cookies in the shape of Kamina's glasses, for all you Gurren Lagann fans.
Back to top Go down
cc

cc

PostSubject: Re: Fall Festival Sept 28; 1:00pm; Quad   Fall Festival Sept 28; 1:00pm; Quad Icon_minitimeSat Jul 02, 2011 10:05 pm

maybe we can save that for the bake sales we have : )
Back to top Go down
Overlord Quel

Overlord Quel

PostSubject: Re: Fall Festival Sept 28; 1:00pm; Quad   Fall Festival Sept 28; 1:00pm; Quad Icon_minitimeSun Jul 03, 2011 1:59 am

If we're not short on help, it'd be nice to have one person checking that everyone has eaten and has had a break. It shouldn't have to be anyone already busy though. Another thing I noticed last year, it was hard to get everyones attention. Maybe every station can have a red flag, and if they need help they just wave it?
Back to top Go down
cc

cc

PostSubject: Re: Fall Festival Sept 28; 1:00pm; Quad   Fall Festival Sept 28; 1:00pm; Quad Icon_minitimeThu Jul 07, 2011 4:30 am

Perhaps.... or just create team stations. :O
like in chibicon in a way *w*

I have an idea for the "meal" portion. We did chicken teriyaki before and I was thinking to instead do something easier and DELICIOUS:

Fall Festival Sept 28; 1:00pm; Quad I10misoyakimeat

All we have to do is buy meat, prep/clean it or whatever, put it in a zip lock bag with the miso yaki marinade sauce, leave it in fridge overnight then next day when we serve it, all we have to do is cook it! Or we can do the marinade two nights earlier and then cook it the night before and then reheat on the day of. whatever the people cooking/prepping the food prefer.

and if we want to serve miso soup for the fall fest or at any other event, instead of making the soup and putting it in the hot water boiler, we can just get the instant miso easy!!
Fall Festival Sept 28; 1:00pm; Quad Ipackageoriginal

All we need to do is put some of it in the bowl or cup, then pour in hot water! we can even precut veggies like scallion and prep cut tofu so we can add that afterwards. makes it easier and cleaner, esp for the hot water maker.

i demoed the miso yaki product and it does taste good. plus if we ever serve fish, we can get the fish marinade sauce as well.
Back to top Go down
Overlord Quel

Overlord Quel

PostSubject: Re: Fall Festival Sept 28; 1:00pm; Quad   Fall Festival Sept 28; 1:00pm; Quad Icon_minitimeThu Jul 07, 2011 8:33 am

I will agree that miso easy is a great product. The only issue I have is with serving soup in september. Yes for other events, even as a base for ramen, but no for fall festival.
Back to top Go down
cc

cc

PostSubject: Re: Fall Festival Sept 28; 1:00pm; Quad   Fall Festival Sept 28; 1:00pm; Quad Icon_minitimeThu Jul 07, 2011 10:38 pm

It was only for suggestion, I was mainly just letting everyone know about the miso since this thread has been one of the most active ;')
Back to top Go down
Kirei-chan
Vice President
Vice President
Kirei-chan

PostSubject: Re: Fall Festival Sept 28; 1:00pm; Quad   Fall Festival Sept 28; 1:00pm; Quad Icon_minitimeFri Jul 08, 2011 12:08 am

For food prep: I think it would be a lot easier in terms of preparation day-of to cook whatever we're going to cook on the night of the 27th.

Okay, now to summarize the options regarding meals so far.
Food types as suggested by CC
  • Entree
  • Meal
  • Dessert

Honestly, I'm not really sure what the difference between "meal" and "entree" are. I suggest we also consider drinks, too, because no one has talked about them yet!!

Current food suggestions:
  • Miso & Easy for soup (recommended not for Fall Fest, but def for other events)
  • MisoYaki with meat
  • Okonomiyaki
  • Jelly for dessert

As an easy thing for drinks, I'm going to suggest iced tea. It can be from mix or from tea bags; whichever is cheaper/more readily available. We can prepare a few pitchers (if we have something to store the tea in) during prep night, along with some ice. I can lend my own electric tea kettle to the tea-making cause.

Also, these were the proposed stations thus far:

• 3 Food stations
  • Drinks Station
  • Games Station
  • Karaoke Station
  • Japan Club / Japanese Festival Info Table Station
  • Purikura Station

As of right now, that means we are looking at approximately 8 tables worth of space. If we are going to have cosponsors for this event, we should make sure we allow some table space for them, too!!

Maybe I just didn't reread carefully enough, but I didn't see any proposed layout for which tables will be what.

So, we also need to talk about
  • What game[s] we will offer
  • Designation for tables
Back to top Go down
cc

cc

PostSubject: Re: Fall Festival Sept 28; 1:00pm; Quad   Fall Festival Sept 28; 1:00pm; Quad Icon_minitimeFri Jul 08, 2011 2:29 am

Entree is like an appetizer.
For drinks, I was going to suggest buying the large ramune bottles and serving them to people by pouring in cups.
(ie: its like soda. you can buy them to serve everyone or buy singles. we can buy the big ones~)

Fall Festival Sept 28; 1:00pm; Quad Ramune-9

Ice tea is a yummy idea since its still summer-y weather so its a refreshing idea! ;) (dont punch me cause my punch lines are awesome 8D !!!! )

About the table space, since the tables are going to be quite long and we have the tables behind the main tables designated (hopefully) for cooking / prepping the foods we need / decided to do on site, the main tables are just for serving. thus we can probably squeeze in the food in 2-3 tables.

------

Mitsuwa Summer Festival will be on Saturday, August 13th.
I suggest people to go because it is fun but also to get a feel of / ideas for the fall festival.
This includes, the setup placement and design wise, what kind of games we can adapt from their games, and even food/drinks.
I will be working at the Marukome Miso booth so I won't be able to join anyone to attend for fun. (unless im on my break, lol)
i'm going to make a field trip plan on facebook and here so maybe a group will go together. :)

more information will be posted elsewhere. I will edit this post to share the URL when I do create something related to this.
Back to top Go down
Kirei-chan
Vice President
Vice President
Kirei-chan

PostSubject: Re: Fall Festival Sept 28; 1:00pm; Quad   Fall Festival Sept 28; 1:00pm; Quad Icon_minitimeFri Jul 08, 2011 2:53 am

Re: Mitsuwa Summer Festival: Sandy should send out an e-mail to inform the members. Smile

I'd post more, but I'll save my thoughts for tonight. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Overlord Quel

Overlord Quel

PostSubject: Re: Fall Festival Sept 28; 1:00pm; Quad   Fall Festival Sept 28; 1:00pm; Quad Icon_minitimeFri Jul 08, 2011 3:16 am

I think the apps, meal, and dessert station should go in that order. Last time it was kinda weird, we went backwards. We should deff have the drinks either at the end or at the begining. And we should deff think about which way the line will go, and if there is any way to control the line. (Avoid having the line behind the booths, it is messy from the back.) We should deff split the food and non food, to avoid food in our camera gear... >_>

So the team stations... is that like the shifts? Either way, food can run out before the end of the shifts, so maybe if we took just 5 mintues to let staff taste all the food before its gone? (taste, not consume)

As far as games go... idk, i figured we would at least have the pool balloon game ^_^
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fall Festival Sept 28; 1:00pm; Quad   Fall Festival Sept 28; 1:00pm; Quad Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Fall Festival Sept 28; 1:00pm; Quad
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next